Butterflies and Moths of North America
Butterflies and Moths of North America: www.butterfliesandmoths.org is a comprehensive online resource that will include information on taxonomy and identification, distribution and habitat, life history and bibliography for all butterfly taxa in America, including species, subspecies and undescribed geographic variants.
Pacific Northwest Moths
Pacific Northwest Moths is a website featuring high-resolution photographs of more than 1,200 species, along with detailed descriptions and distribution maps and an easy-to-use identification key.
- Monarch Waystations in Southern Oregon by Tom Landis
Butterflies of Oregon
- Butterflies of Oregon www.butterfliesoforegon.com/ is a resource for Oregon butterfly enthusiasts, including photos and species information covering all of Oregon’s regularly occurring, formally described butterfly species. Photos from Neil Bjorklund of Eugene.
- Both latin and common names
- Multiple photos, including both sexes where possible
- Live photos for 150 species, all taken within Oregon
- Photos of pinned specimens for 11 species
- Identification information
- Similar species and how to distinguish them
- Distribution information
- Preferred habitats
- Common larval host plants
- Flight season
- Abundance information
- Conservation status
Washington Bumble Bees
This website was created to help others to easily identify the bumble bees they encounter. The primary focus is on bumble bee species and their color morphs in Washington State. Here in Washington state we have at least twenty five (25) species.
An online community of naturalists who enjoy learning about and sharing our observations of insects, spiders, and other related creatures.
Moth Photographers Guide
North America Moth Photographers Group is a great place to see lots of archived photographs of moths from all over.
Recommended by Carl Barrentine for id help. Start with ‘Plate Series’ then click on ‘Walking Through the Moth Families’. Here is a video by Carl showing how he goes about identifying a moth.